The Tennessee Titans continue the preseason tonight with their first road trip, to Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis to face the Rams at 7 PM CT. Television broadcast available in Nashville and select other local markets, radio broadcast on your local Titans Radio affiliate, watch online at NFL.com for a fee, or NFL Network will be re-airing the broadcast on Monday at 3 PM CT. Here are a few things I’ll be keeping my eye on:
- Quarterback. Mike Munchak indicated he expected the starters to get 25-30 plays, which probably means most of the first half. Is Matt Hasselbeck out there the entire time, or does Jake Locker get any of it?
- Jamie Harper and Stafon Johnson. CJ’s holding out. Javon Ringer’s hurt and unlikely to play. I want to see Harper run forward, and fall forward for extra yards. I believe Stafon Johnson has an opportunity to make the team if he plays well, but he’ll need to earn his spot. I was encouraged last week by his performance, but he needs to play well every week.
- Right tackle. David Stewart is out. Backup tackle Troy Kropog is out. Mike Otto probably gets the start. He seems ok, but I’m still not sure.
- The interior offensive line. Again. I want to see the Titans run between the tackles. I want to see Harris and Amano and Scott looking like a well-oiled machine.
- Karl Klug. A good game last week, and he saw a lot of playing time. Make me think you’re better than Mitch King.
- Gerald McRath. Barrett Ruud is doubtful to play, and Will Witherspoon probably gets the start at Mike. That means he’s starting at Will in the base defense and I’m guessing he’ll play nickel again as well. I want to see sound-assignment football and a splash play.
- Cornerback depth. I’m fine with the top three. Nothing I’ve ever seen from Frank Walker has made me think he’s any good. I want Pete Ittersagen, or Tommie Campbell, or anybody to win his slot.
Stay tuned to Total Titans after the game for a recap and more coverage.
UPDATE (8/20/11, 1827 CT): Official inactives for tonight’s game are WR Kenny Britt, RB Chris Johnson, OT Troy Kropog, DT Sen’Derrick Marks, RB Javon Ringer, LB Barrett Ruud, S Nick Schommer, and OT David Stewart. Jamie Harper gets the start for Ringer/CJ, Witherspoon for Ruud, Otto for Stewart, and Damian Williams for Britt.