The Tennessee Titans take the field against an opposing team for the first time in the 2011 season tonight against the Vikings at LP Field (televised locally and in a few other markets, radio broadcast on your local Titans Radio affiliate, re-air tomorrow at 10AM on NFL Network). Here are a few things I’ll be keeping an eye on.
- The debut of Jake Locker. I care less about what he does than how he plays. Use this column by Matt Bowen to set your expectations.
- The interior offensive line. Harris, Amano, and Scott struggled last year. Can they be better in their second year together?
- Depth at wide receiver. There’s a top four, and one to three jobs open behind them. Can a guy like James Kirkendoll steal a spot away from Gage and Hawkins?
- The new-look defensive line. Especially the new young guys, like Jurrell Casey, Karl Klug, and Zach Clayton.
- Akeem Ayers. Does he rush the passer? Can he cover? What role exactly does he play?
- The safety depth chart. Michael Griffin is the only lock. Can Myron Rolle steal a roster spot or Vinny Fuller keep his? There’s extra opportunity tonight with neither Nick Schommer nor Robert Johnson playing.
Stay tuned to Total Titans after the game for a recap and more coverage.
UPDATE (1741 CT): Official scratches tonight are: WR Kenny Britt, RB Chris Johnson, S Robert Johnson, DT Sen’Derrick Marks, S Nick Schommer, and LB/LS John Stokes. Reports are Justin Gage starts for Britt, Javon Ringer for CJ, and Karl Klug for Marks.